Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bittersweet Fall

I've been sitting here this morning thinking about decorating for the Fall season and looking at pictures taken by my brother, Rick Burgess. Rick spends his "free" time traveling the state of West Virginia capturing the state's natural beauty in photographs.

I have readers from all over the world, many of whom have never been to the U.S. and are as curious about and enthralled with this country as I am France. So, for these readers, I thought I'd share some information about a small piece of life here in the U.S. through Rick's photography.

For those of you who don't know my history, my family has lived in the state of West Virginia for many generations and the soul of my family can be felt floating in the winds above the mountains in this beautiful state. When I'm in West Virginia, I feel surrounded by the joy, laughter, pain and sorrow of family members who lived out their lives in this state. I moved away from WV many years ago but always feel a longing this time of the year to "go home" to reconnect with the place that most shaped me.

For me no one person captures the essence, soul and beauty of West Virginia like Rick. His love for his home state can be seen, even felt, in each photo.

Each Fall season finds me filled with bittersweet memories of West Virginia and I want to be home to see the mountains ablaze with the warm yellows, oranges and burgundies of Fall. Since I can't be home, I find solace in the beauty in Rick's photos. For me, they are the next best thing to actually being there. I can almost smell the changing leaves and feel the warm sun of an October day in West Virginia.

I hope you enjoy these photos as well.










































Au revoir,
Mitty

No comments:

Post a Comment