Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Blessings!

If you read my last post, you know that my life is quite busy right now (how's that for an understatement?) As we work through the process of moving to Saudi, I'm sure my mind will be focused on the details and logistics of the move. So I apologise in advance for what will probably be inconsistent posts at best! But I love this Blog, and I love sharing small ways to make your home more enjoyable, so I'll still  be drawn to writing from time to time. We can make this transition together!
 
Over the past few days we were blessed to have family in from out of town for Thanksgiving! We did the usual Thanksgiving things ............ cooked all day, ate too much (in far less time than it took to prepare everything) and reminisced over stories from family "get togethers" of the past. As I get older, holidays become more bittersweet for me. I'm flooded with memories of holidays filled with people who are no longer here and traditions that are no longer possible. But then I'm filled with love for the people who are with me now and the new holiday traditions that we are starting.
 
I thought I'd share with you some pictures from my holiday table. I love to make flower arrangements and love to decorate the table for special occasions.
 
This year I used a color that I rarely use in my home....orange! I know it's a typical color for fall decorating, but I don't incorporate it into my home.
 


I have deer antlers decorating several places in my home and used a couple of them on my table along with a couple of small pumpkins and pheasant feathers.  I used a simple glass cube for the flower arrangement and filled it with orange roses, lime green hydrangeas, wheat sheaths, pheasant feathers and green berries.






On the table I chose to use round burnt orange colored place mats instead of a table cloth (which I rarely use) and napkins decorated with fall foliage in orange, gold, brown and a touch of lime green. I love the visual interest of multiple textures so I used round, woven rattan plate chargers.






I added small white ceramic turkey shaped salt and pepper shakers and place cards embossed with turkeys! I loved the place cards but thought they were a bit too plain so I "hot glued" a small silk orange ribbon to each one. (OOPS, I just noticed the step ladder in the picture! Did you notice it? I'm pretty short so there is usually one close to me at all times!)








I pray your Thanksgiving was filled with love and that the most important "decorations" at your table were the smiling faces of family and friends.
 
 
Au revoir, Mitty

No comments:

Post a Comment