Friday, February 10, 2012

Transitions in French Style


I ran across this picture of my living room in my last home in Charleston, WV.  I've always loved raspberry and taupe and used the color combination in most rooms in my house - they were "my colors!" When I moved to My Faux French Chateau I knew that I wanted to gradually transition to a softer look, a quieter palette.

I'm like most people, I can't simply "throw out the old and bring in the new." So I've moved pieces of furniture around my new house, given some to MDD, put some in storage, and added a few new pieces. I've also found my passion for painted and distressed furniture and am incorporating more of these pieces into my home.

I've retained my love for taupe Belgian Linen, moving the small linen sofa in the room above to my little "formal living room" in MFFC.  The "great room" of MFFC (picture below) dwarfed the little sofa so I purchased two matching, large linen sofas for the room.  The oriental carpet above has been rolled up and sent to an Oriental rug store for re-sale and the antique, more worn blue and cream carpet put in it's place.



Making the transition to this new look will take time. And, when MDD has her first home, I'll give her more of my darker, more formal wood furniture and bring in more painted, casual furniture. 

This quieter look suites me and the way I want to live today. Maybe I'm calmer as well - o.k., maybe that's a stretch!

Who knows why, but it works for me and makes me smile.

Au revoir, Mitty




No comments:

Post a Comment