Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Forty Winks" Outside on a French Daybed







 "Just take forty winks, and when you wake up everything'll be fine."
(An F. Scott Fitzgerald  quote from his short story titled "Gretchen's Forty Winks")

For those of you who read my post "Napping in the Garden on an Antique French Daybed" you might remember that I love the use of daybeds in an outdoor setting.  Daybeds used as outdoor furniture is quite typical in France. During my trip to France last year, I fell in love with the one that my host Christine used on her terrace at Jardin de Bacchus - Chambres d'hôtes.

Christine thoughtfully sent me a picture of her outdoor terrace featuring her vintage French daybed. I love Christine's use of color on her terrace. I love the neutral stucco house color highlighted by the pale green shutters. The "punch" or visual impact comes from the orange and pink cushions on the daybed, the two orange garden seats, the two butterfly sling chairs covered in orange canvas, the two pink canvas chairs in the background garden and the pink and orange decorative bowls on the table (filled to overflowing with wine corks, of course!)

There is a great blend of old and new, sleek and rough textures and soft and hard surfaces on Christine's terrace.  It all blends beautifully to be a visually impacting and welcoming outdoor room.

Other than the daybed, my favorite feature is the functional yet decorative iron overhead trellis covered in rows of soft white fabric. Looking at this feature I immediately think of soft billowy clouds floating overhead. I could easily lay on this daybed and take "forty winks" - probably more.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful terrace with us Christine!

Au revoir, Mitty




1 comment:

  1. Love this! I am happy new follower from Richardson! Just found your blog today. I have enjoyed reading your past posts! Hope you'll follow me, too! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete