Friday, April 8, 2011

Reupholstering and Painting a French Chair (Fauteuil) - Part Trois (3)


O.k., so back to the chair mini-series!  I'm in love with these Annie Sloan paints! There's no need to sand or prime your furniture before applying.  I honestly questioned whether I should believe this claim from the manufacturer or not and almost took the time to put a coat of primer on it.  I ended up not doing so and the Annie Sloan chalk paints went on the chair beautifully.  You can see where the original tack holes are on the chair (above.)  I went ahead and painted all of the exposed wood on the chair, even the part that will be upholstered.



Step 1:
I applied one coat of Louis Blue.  The coverage was great.   Don't get frightened or start questioning my sanity or sense of style...................  I know it's bright!


Here's the chair totally painted.



Step 2:
So, I got so involved in painting the chair that I forgot to photograph the second paint application!  After the first coat of Louis Blue, I applied a coat of Old White. I dry brushed the Old White on, keeping my brush very dry by wiping it on a towel before I initially touched the brush to the chair.  (Sorry there's no picture of this stage in the process.  I'll do better, I promise!)

Step 3:
With fine grade sand paper, sand the chair as little or as much as you like.  I wanted the chair "aged" in the areas where normal wear and tear would rub off the paint.  In some areas I gently sanded the white paint so that some of the blue would show through.  This step is personal.  You'll know when it looks the way you want it to.

Step 4:
With a wide wax brush, apply 1 coat of clear wax.  The brush allows you to get the wax into all of the details on the chair.  Work in small sections wiping off the extra wax with a clean cloth. 

Step 5:
So here's where I got with the program and started photographing again.  The next step is to apply one light coat of the dark wax with the wax brush.  I worked the wax in very small sections almost immediately wiping off the wax with another clean, soft cloth.  The purpose is to wipe off most of the wax leaving only enough to bring out the detail in the chair and give it an aged look.  Again, this is personal.  In the picture below, keep in mind that the remaining bright blue areas will be covered by upholstery.







Here I am (bad hair and shoe day) opening the garage door for some ventilation.  I have a sneaky suspicion that I forgot to take photos due to fume intoxication!  (Actually I wear a filtered mask when I sand and paint. Also this paint has extremely low VOCs so it is better for the environment and the painter!) 

 


Working on the chair I started thinking about my Mom and how she used to antique furniture.  We didn't have much in the way of home furnishings.  There were nine of us and there were lots of other things for my parents' income to be spent on.  Mom would buy those antiquing kits that everyone used.  I'd watch her antique bedroom furniture in the evenings when she came home from work. I love the idea that she tried to make our home as nice as she could.

So from these thoughts, I started thinking of my Mom singing and for some reason the song "Fancy" came to mind.  I can hear her singing it now. Do you remember that song?  You know, "Here's your one chance, Fancy, don't let me down."  O.k., most of you probably don't!  Nevertheless, this chair, in honour of my Mom, has now been named "Fancy."




I hope to finish "Fancy" this week and will show you the finished result in a couple of days.

Au revoir, Mitty


3 comments:

  1. Love the chair! Glad to see you loving the Annie Sloan Paints! I came on board last month as a stockist and I am absolutely loving all the colors and techniques you can get. You have done a wonderful job....thanks for the plug for the paint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking chair, you have a wonderful gift and use it well. I am enjoying your pics and stories. I do not see your address anywhere tho.
    Andrea dreala1954@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you tear that upholstery down yourself? I have never seen burlap under fabric like that. Usually a muslin is used.

    ReplyDelete