Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Deceive the Eye! "Trompe l'oeil"

Have you ever looked at something quickly and then at closer look realized that you are actually looking at a painting? 

This painting technique is referred to as "Trompe l'oeil," French for "Deceive the eye."  Trompe l'oeil is an art technique using extremely realistic imagery to create an optical illusion to make the depicted objects appear in three dimensions.

As you know France always finds a way to make me smile.  At the end of my buying trip this past Spring I was in the airport in Paris.  Sad to be leaving and facing a long flight home, I went to the restroom at the airport.  Guess what greeted me?  Of all things.............fanciful Trompe l'oeil in the Ladies Restroom! 

I didn't know whether to choose Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3 - They were all so beautiful!


There was even a beautiful black and gold mirror and an ornate wall sconce with a lit candle!




Even a beautiful decorative chair was waiting for me!

I've seen Trompe l'oeil used beautifully here in the U.S.   Take a look at these wonderful examples:


Notice the beautifully executed Trompe l'oeil panels on the walls behind the bed! This room was designed by Pierre Herve, Creative Director for Carolina Herrera.  The Trompe l'oeil was also painted by Pierre!


Can you tell what is Trompe l'oeil in this picture?  It's the two Italian candle sticks on the mantel. This room was designed by Kim Ficus and appeared in House Beautiful Magazine.


The intricate carving on this headboard is actually Trompe l'oeil!  This House Beautiful article features the design work of Gary McBournie. 


I'm thinking of all the places I'd love to have a trompe l'oeil painting in my home. 

One of the cutest trompe l'oeils I've seen was in a friend house in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It was a picture of cracked plaster on the lower part of an enry hall wall and the crack had a cute little mouse peeking out of it!

 Au revoir! Mitty

No comments:

Post a Comment