Friday, June 24, 2011

Favorite French Things Friday - French Window Shutters "Volets"

I live in a newer home in Fort Worth, (you know, "My Faux French Chateau!) It has a little wrought iron balcony on the facade and French style shutters.  Everything is freshly painted and in "ship shape."

I often wonder what would happen if I chose to let my shutters age gracefully and take on the aged look of most of the window shutters on the buildings and homes I love in France.

Why is it that some of the appeal of the homes I love in France wouldn't be regarded as so appealing here in Fort Worth?  Why is chipped paint charming in France but a sign of neglect here? Perhaps it is that everything is old there and the buildings are all aging at the same rate. Whatever it is, I love the imperfect beauty of France.














Au revoir, Mitty

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! When we were renovating our house, we added some wrought iron balustrading and my builders thought I was quite mad because I wanted it to look old and rusty! In fact, my biggest compliment was from a friend of my 10 year old who said to me "it's funny, but even though your house is new, it feels old!" Have a lovely week. x Sharon

    ReplyDelete