Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Reproduction French Coffee Table - Repainted, Distressed and Glazed!

Well, it is finished.  I painted, distressed and then glazed the reproduction coffee table that I purchased on Saturday.

I love the way it turned out and it really makes a difference in the room.  Not only do we finally have something to put a glass on but it is pretty as well!

I used my chalk paints again. These paints have made me lazy since you don't have to sand or prime wood before applying. I love them!


Coffee table finished! (Excuse the "paint patches" on the walls!)


Coffee table as it was purchased.


Two coats of Louis Blue Chalk Paint. BRIGHT isn't it!  Again, don't be "scared." The glaze will tone it down!


Trim painted in Old White Chalk Paint.


Table "distressed" by sanding.


FINISHED coffee table.  The last step in this project was to glaze the table. I love the way it looks and it is perfect in this room. (Again, excuse the patches of paint on the walls.  Project # 4002!)

I've been asked if I'm "afraid" to paint furniture.  The simple answer is NEVER. Now, would I suggest painting a seriously expensive, authenticated period antique - NO!  I would suggest leaving an expensive stained antique piece as is! But, I do believe that a piece of painted furniture adds an important element or additional textural feel to a room. I like stained and painted furniture used together.  All of one or the other can be boring.

I love to paint furniture. I especially love taking something that is neglected and bringing it back to life. I guess I'm a big believer in second chances!

Take care of yourself.

Au revoir, Mitty


No comments:

Post a Comment